Strategy (Manjiri)

 Raghav came back tired from his archery practice. He was very good at it but believed in the discipline of the practice everyday. As he returned to his chamber, Maithili informed him that his father was desirous of seeing him. 

Raghav started for his father's offices at once. His father looked grave. He signaled his attendant "leave us" and indicated Raghav to take a seat. 

"I have received some grave news from my spies, Son. Our neighbors are trying to move southwards to claim the forests. I was also informed that the king from far south is willing to help them" his father said. 

"But Father, we have some alleys down south, don't we?"

"Yes Son, we do but unfortunately, the king that I was backing covertly, has been ousted by his mightier brother. The brother usurped his kingdom and even his wife! I think we should mobilize our forces to south"

"With due respect Father, mobilizing forces will mean battle and that will result in the loss of life and wealth for the people. I have seen that terrain when I was touring there with our Teacher. The forest is too dense, the heavy artillery with elephants is of no use there.  My brother and I will go way south. First we will help the king in exile to reclaim his kingdom. He will be indebted to us. With his help we will move to claim the terrain between his kingdom and ours, The Twins under your guidance can attack at the same time from north."

"There is some merit in what you say my son. As you know we also have our outpost at the southern tip. Our trusted valiant sentry there has a bird's eye view of the terrain. He can help you too. 
But the moment  you and Saumitra start southwards, the neighbors will make their move."

"Then O King, we will have to use subterfuge to keep everyone in the dark. 
Ask Choti Ma to to demand that her eldest becomes the yuvraj, and me to be exiled. Lakshman will naturally come with me. We will go southwards. I will also give in to Sita and let her come with us so no one will even doubt. She is a good strategist."

"This is so risky Raghav! I will worry about you and miss you very much! But I have to say with heavy heart that this is the best strategy given circumstances" 

"It's decided then. I would suggest that no one but You, Choti Ma and I would know about our plan at this point. So everyone will react naturally and there would be no suspicion. Will you please talk to Choti  Ma? We are asking the biggest sacrifice from her. But she is brave and astute. If someone can do it, it would be her. And Taat,  please send a word to our sentry at the southern outpost to be alert!" 


Comments